Thursday, March 01, 2007

Eragon – Revisited

I read the book, I wandered into borders, with a decent wait expected for my girl, settled into one of their comfy arm chairs, flipped Eragon open, and started skimming through the pages.

I was hooked. Gone was the excessive single dimensionality, the excessive magnification of each event. The story was complete and detailed and painted a picture of words that well described events and characters in a captivating way.

Just a quick word though. This book is archetypical fantasy. Do not be expecting quirks of story or character to blow your mind. It’s a story that presents pretty standard fare with workmanship and quality. It’s worthy to note that it doesn’t feel like it’s the first novel offering from a young author, quite the opposite. (Especially since it is a first work by a new and young author)

I suppose the book is also pitched at young adult fiction, so I guess it might be semi reasonable to let the book get away with its few basic premises which are a tad overused, but nevertheless main stays of fantasy, a farm boy becoming a hero with the main consuming flaws of being impulsive, stupid and honor bound. Elves who are oh so wise and powerful, but can’t do anything useful. All powerful all knowing evil, who are at some risk from said farm boy. Well look the list goes on, but doesn’t address what I feel is the main issue.

It’s an engrossing read. For a few days I was essentially incommunicado as I read Eragon between work and sleep, with sleep suffering, and then continuing on the Eldest the next installment. They are nice reads, the final book is on my too read list now, and although I expect more standard fantasy fodder, I will also be expecting it to be engrossing and engaging and well written, like the preceding books.

3 Comments:

At 9:42 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

I'm sure elves can do heaps of useful things, they just choose not to :p

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your disdain for elves reveals a closet gayness.. you are.. like BOWL OF SOUP gay..
mara

 
At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you want a decent fantasy read without too much of the fantastical, try Guy Gavriel Kay. He does a lot of alternate history style fiction (except for Tigana I think) which shows a lot of research into eras such as the Byzantine empire and medieval france.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home