Saturday, December 02, 2006

Free movie!!

I managed to get two free tickets to “To catch a fire.” I just saw it with my girlfriend on a Friday night. It’s a good movie. I have some issues with it. It is an interesting story depicting two men struggling with apartheid from either side of it. The movie raises a number of issues and depicts a lot of concerns that confront a people suffering from oppression, lack of rights and resources.

It was not a light film.

I have read many a story detailing the horrors and unpleasantness of various wars and oppressive reins. There are many films I have seen that deal with those issues. I have spoken with people who have lived through them, some of them being members of my own family with the memory of those events tattooed onto their arm.

I have an issue with the film.

That issue was the repetition of those points. To me bringing them up, for me, is to dwell on them. I no longer wish to have those points brought to my immediate attention unless they are coupled with a suggestion of what can be done about it, a course of action.

That was not the intention of the film, nor do I think it should have been.

On a Friday night after what feels like an awfully long week of work, recently returned from a brief holiday, regardless of how interesting the story was, this movie was too heavy and disturbing to be palatable for me.

However, for those of you who don’t share the same opinion about the way these things should be thought of, see the film, it captured attention, told an interesting story and had good acting.

It was also a free movie!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home